The internet is filled with about a million baby products, and selecting the most important ones while you are a first-time parent can be a daunting task. With every person you know sharing tips about baby-proofing your home and the essential things you need to buy, the shopping experience can become overwhelming for the first-time parents. You can indeed read several books on parenting a newborn and still learn new things with time and understand what your baby needs. Here is a list of 10 essential details to make your time with a newborn easier!1. Clothes
The first and the most essential item on your shopping list should be baby clothes. Stocking up on lots of soft clothes for your baby sounds like a great plan, but isn’t sufficient. Babies grow fast. Your newborn might even outgrow their first set of clothes in a month. Hence it would be sufficient to buy just few of the new born sized clothes, and more of 0-3 months sized clothes.Majority of the clothing that you would be using at this time would be either growsuits or bodysuits, so it would be better to stock up a bit more of these initially. Apart from being cosy and comfortable, these onesies also helps ease diaper changing.Some of the essential clothes to consider buying are:
- Leggings or stretchy pants with tops: The leggings paired with tops make a comfortable outfit for both the baby and new parents. Two-piece clothing means that you don’t have to change the whole outfit each time your baby soils his/ her clothes nor needs a diaper change. Choose the ones with a soft and stretchable waistband, and you won’t have to worry about elastic rashes.
- Layers: During cold winter days, a singlet can be worn as an inner layer and a zip-up jacket or sweatshirt handy to keep your baby warm.
- Hats and mittens: Babies tend to hurt themselves at times with their nails. Trimming your baby’s nails can be scary. Hence a grow suit with inbuilt mittens would be handy to keep your baby from scratching, it is also a good idea to purchase a pair or two of mittens for use with other outfits. Hats are a must while going out in the sun; your baby’s skin is much more delicate than you, and protecting them from the harmful UV rays is essential.
- Bodysuits: Another one of the essentials are bodysuits. Organic baby bodysuits are a must-have for your newborn. The natural fabric free from any harmful dyes is ideal for your baby’s soft skin. The design also makes diaper changes easier.
One of the most important essentials on your list should be diapers - plenty of them. Even when choosing cloth diapers, make sure you have at least 15 - 20 as most babies go through 10-12 diapers daily. It would be better to have extra diapers in your stock, so you don’t have to worry about washing the diapers as soon as your baby soils a few. Your diaper shopping should also include diaper creams, baby wipes, a changing pad, an easy to carry multi-pocketed diaper bag which would fit all your stuff. This would be handy when you are going out. A changing pad will help you keep your surfaces clean. Get the one that dries quickly. Also, keep a separate covered basket to keep the soiled diapers for until you wash them.3. Breastfeeding and bottle-feeding
Even if you plan to breastfeed your baby, it is better to have the essentials for bottle feeding with you as well. For breastfeeding, you’ll need a nursing or feeding pillow, around 6-12 burp cloths, and bibs for the baby. Keep lanolin ointment (for soothing sore nipples), 2-3 nursing bras, disposable or reusable breast pads, and a nursing cover for yourself. Keep a few bottles, baby formula, bottle brushes, and an insulated bottle carrier as well for bottle feeding.4. Sleep essentials
For your little bub’s good night’s sleep and comfy naps, you must have a comfortable mattress and sheets. It is handy to buy a crib and a bassinet beforehand so that once the baby outgrows the bassinet; you can switch to the crib. Swaddling blankets are a must-have, and a baby monitor will make checking on your baby easier.5. Baby gears
Baby gears like a baby carrier, stroller, car seat, a car seat cover or blanket, and sunshades for car windows are must-haves. Choose a baby carrier with secure straps that can be cleaned easily. For buying a stroller, choose the one that fits your requirements. Car seats and sunshades come in handy to keep your baby safe and comfortable during long car rides. Go for an adjustable and durable car seat that meets all the latest security guidelines. Additionally, you can also get gears like a baby backpack, portable crib, stroller rain cover, etc. but these aren’t essential.6. Bath essentials
Newborns mostly get sponge baths. Buying a baby bathtub, mild and organic soaps and shampoos, soft bath towels, and washcloths is essential. You can also get a bath thermometer and bath toys.7. Baby soothers
While nothing soothes babies more than being held by their parents, pacifiers and bouncy seats come in handy to calm your baby and keep them engaged.
- Toys: Soft toys, rattles, and musical toys are sure to keep your baby entertained for hours. Your baby may even develop a special attachment to a specific soft toy.
- Safety: While newborns don’t need much baby-proofing, it is better to get safety gates, outlet covers, cupboard and drawer latches, toilet seat locks, anti-tip straps, and wall anchors beforehand to baby proof your house for when the baby starts crawling and walking.
- Health: Maintaining your baby’s health and hygiene will be more comfortable with products like bulb syringes, teething toys, humidifier, baby nail scissors, clippers and nail files, baby-friendly laundry detergent, and soft-bristled baby hairbrush. You can also keep a first-aid kit with things like a digital thermometer to tweezers for emergencies.